Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pizza Pizza!

There is one meal that is always great to have the ingredients on-hand for, and that's homemade pizza. I don't think I've made homemade pizza since I was probably in grade school and we all got to make our own at someone's birthday party, likely on a bagel.

However, we both like pizza, and it's a lot cheaper and healthier (at least, in my mind!) to make it from scratch than order it in from somewhere, so that's what I started doing. There are numerous benefits of this pizza too - you can control the toppings, the amount of grease, the kind of crust, how soft/crispy the crust is and so on. Not to mention, you likely have the ingredients for the toppings in some way, shape or form already in your kitchen.

Tonight, hence this post, is homemade pizza night. The hubs is working late, and not feeling well to boot, and I had a late lunch, meaning neither of us will be in the mood for a big dinner, if at all for him. However, that's another beauty of pizza. You can eat as much or as little as you want, and there's (usually!) leftovers for lunch the next day. And who doesn't like cold pizza for lunch (or breakfast, in my opinion, on occasion!)

So, here's my newly developed "recipe" for pizza - it's not really a recipe, since it's customizeable to your taste and available ingredients, so consider it more of a general guide to follow:
  • Whole wheat crust - has a light flavor and is better for you than regular dough. I like Mama Mary's, which is available in the refridgerated section of the grocery store

  • Shredded mozzerella cheese - up to a package, depending on how much cheese you like

  • Sliced pepperoni - you can buy the whole stick and cut to your desired thickness, or the prepackaged version that comes already-sliced.

  • Chopped onion, green pepper and black olives (olives only on my slices!)

  • Sauce - any kind of pasta sauce will do. Red, white, whatever will complement your toppings

  • Minced garlic - this little touch, sprinkled over the sauce, under the toppings makes all the difference

Assemble, bake and enjoy. And save the leftovers for tomorrow - I know I will!


Cheers!
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment