Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thankful Thursday - Slow Cooker Edition

Since I started this blog, just a few days ago, I can't help but think of topics I want to write about and one of the consistent themes that kept popping up was what I'm so happy to have when I cook - whether it be a specific ingredient, overall meal, cooking accessory or cocktail. So, the PR girl in me came up with "Thankful Thursdays," when I'll take each Thursday post to highlight one of these things I'm thankful for.

To kick-off Thankful Thursdays, I'd like to discuss my thankfulness for slow cookers. Growing up, my mom always made pot roast and stews in the Crock Pot - and I LOVED them. Nothing was better than coming home to that smell wafting throughout the entire house, then tasting the tender meat and vegetables with a side of bread.

I got a Crock Pot from our sister-in-law (thanks Megan!) and I'm so thankful for having it - there are a number of benefits:
  • As mentioned, the smell wafting through the house. Since I work from home, it's very dangerous to use a Crock Pot, as I make frequent stops into the kitchen to taste the food cooking
  • Crock Pots usually mean lots of food, which means leftovers. And, for days when I don't want to cook (like tonight!) we've still got a comforting, delicious meal to enjoy for dinner, and I didn't have to lift a finger (just the lid of the Tupperware!)
  • Chopping and peeling all those vegetables - carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, garlic, peppers and anything else you put into your pots - can be therapeutic. Seriously, nothing battles aggression or stress better than a big knife and a bunch of crunchy vegetables :)

So tonight is leftover slow cooker beef and vegetable stew night - I'm off to enjoy with a glass of cold sauvignon blanc, or two, to relax with my husband and puppy. Cheers to you all!

Cheers,
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment