Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Three C's of Comfort Food

What is it about comfort food that makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Is it because it reminds us of the meals mom used to make when we were little? Is it because we're TOLD it's meant to be comforting to us and, therefore, we feel that way? I don't know what the reason is, or if there's a specific set of criteria a food must meet in order for it to gain "comfort food" status, but I've got my own reasons and qualities about comfort food.

Sometimes, you just have a bad day. And, at least for me, when those days hit, I want to eat something that is going to make me feel better (as well as have a glass of wine, lay on the couch, watch bad TV and snuggle in a blanket with my dog.) So I turn to comfort food - which I define as possessing the "Three Cs" qualities:
  • Caloric - must be high in calories and likely bad for me, which is why it tastes so good

  • Cholesterol - must contains large amounts of butter and fat, ideally in the form of breadings and baked goods

  • Comatose - must make me enter a food coma and want to doze as I lay on the couch with my wine, blanket, bad TV and dog

Occasionally, I turn to the Fourth C of comfort food...the almighty CHOCOLATE. Now, if you can combine the Almighty Chocolate with any of the above C qualities, we should be friends and you should bring over your Super Comfort Food immediately.

The other night was somewhat one of these nights. I wasn't having a particularly bad day - it was just blah. You've probably heard of the massive amounts of rain Southern California got for the past three days. After day three of swimming the dog (rather than walking him) I was done. I was in a weather funk and just wanted to feel better. Cue comfort food!


I made Chicken Kiev (read: breaded chicken stuffed with butter, cheese and herbs, oh my), Creamy (read: butter) Chicken Rice and Big & Buttery (read: big and buttery) Crescent Rolls. Not only did this meal conform to my Three Cs rule, but each of the dishes also begins with a C. Coincidence? I think not!


The comfort food did the trick and I was feeling full and happy. And, now that we're in the countdown to Christmas, I've been baking cookies like my life depends on it. Here is the ultimate test of how many Cs one can combine into holiday baking:

  • Chocolate

  • Christmas

  • Cookies (that are high in)

  • Calories (and)

  • Cholesterol (and make me want to enter a)

  • Coma

It's almost too much to handle! Now, combine your ultimate cookies with a Cocktail and you're set. Tis the season for comfort food!

Cheers!

Maureen

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed that most of my comfort food is beige, in addition to the 3 (or 4, I love chocolate) C's!

    ReplyDelete